I have been meaning to experiment with my bottle of peppermint essence for a while now, but I just was not sure what I would use it for. I then thought I would try to make Chocolate Mint Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Mint Icing.
I was not sure how much peppermint essence to use for the cupcakes because peppermint essence can be quite over powering if you use too much, so I sought advice from my baking friends on Twitter.
According to my taste testers, the Chocolate Mint Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Mint Icing ended turning out really well, the peppermint flavouring was not over powering. The Chocolate Mint Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Mint Icing were delicious.
The icing is actually a light green colour, but it was hard to pick up the colour with my camera.
I only wish I could find my Wilton 1M piping tip, because I do not like how the Wilton 199 piping tip pipes.
Chocolate Mint Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Mint Icing
250 grams of butter
1 block of dark cooking chocolate
2 cups of brown sugar
1 and 1/3 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of peppermint essence
1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour
1/4 cup of self raising flour
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
125 grams of room temperature butter
2 drops of green food colouring
1/4 teaspoon of peppermint essence
chocolate chips for decoration
2 cups of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees C/150 degrees C fan-forced. Place cupcake cases into cupcake tin.
2) Combine butter, chocolate, milk, sugar and peppermint essence in medium saucepan, stir over low heat until mixture is smooth.
3) Cool mixture until barely warm, whisk in sifted dry ingredients and eggs.
4) Pour mixture evenly into paper cases and fill to about three-quarters full; bake about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and stand 10-15 minutes on a wire rack to cool.
5) For the icing, mix butter, milk, peppermint essence, 2 drops of green food colouring and icing sugar with a mixer. Place mixture into a piping bag. Once the cupcakes have cooled down, pipe the icing onto the cupcakes. Scatter chocolate chips on the top of the icing.